Ceramic Handmade Quote Mugs
Etta Satter’s handmade quote mugs are very popular with our customers. Often given as gifts, many others choose to collect them and add to their eclectic cupboards.
The handmade designs are hand-carved, white stoneware, semi-matte white glaze interior with hand-etched philosophical quotes. Mugs with or without handles, and also teacups, tea pots and bowls are available.
Available Philosophical Quotes on the mugs and cups:
Please note: this is not the complete list of philosophers and their quotes. If you don’t see a quote that you’re looking for, then please email or call us and we would be happy to see if the particular quote you want is available.
If an item is not in stock, please allow 4-6 weeks production time for the artist to fulfill a custom order of her handmade items.
Allen, James – Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so shall you become.
Arnold, Matthew – The same heart beats in every human breast.
Bacon, Francis – Knowledge is power.
Buddha – To one in whom love dwells, the whole world is but one family.
– Be a light unto yourself.
– Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
Chinese Proverb – One who sings prays twice.
– To know and not to do is not to know.
– When the people lead, the leaders will follow.
– Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
cummings, e e – how fortunate are you and i, whose home is timelessness: we who have wandered down from fragrant mountains of eternal now
de Saint Exupery, A. – It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
– A goal without a plan is just a wish.
Dickinson, Emily – All I know of love is that love is all there is.
Dr. Seuss – You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Einstein, Albert – Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
– Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
– I was supposed to choose a practical profession, but that was simply unbearable to me.
– Life is not a problem to be solved. It is a mystery to be lived.
– Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music…I get most joy in life out of music.
– Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Emerson, Ralph Waldo – Hitch your wagon to a star.
– Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
– Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
– Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.
– To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.
– What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
– Every artist was first an amateur.
Franklin, Ben – One who will have patience can have what he will.
– Beer if proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
– If principle is good for anything, it is worth living up to.
Fuller, Thomas – If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it.
Gandhi, Mahatma – There is no love where there is no will.
– We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
– What you do may seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
Garcia, Jerry – So many roads to ease my soul.
Gibran, Kahil – Marriage is the golden ring in a chain whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is eternity.
– Keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life.
– Work is love made visible.
Goethe, Johann W. von – Just trust yourself, then you will know how to live.
– Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
– Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.
– Nothing is more highly to be prized than the value of each day.
– Talent is nurtured in solitude; character is formed in the stormy billows of the world.
Gordon, Julius – Love is not blind — it seems more not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less.
Gretzky, Wayne – You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
Hemingway, Ernest – One cat just leads to another.
– It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end.
– The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
Hendrix, Jimi – When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
– Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
– Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens,.
Holmes, Oliver Wendell – A mind that is stretched to a new idea never returns to its original dimension.
– Alas for those who never sing, and die with all their music in them.
Jameson, Storm – Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Jefferson, Thomas – I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work the more I have of it.
– On matters of style, swim with the current. On matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Keller, Helen – Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
– The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
– Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see the shadow.
Kierkegaard, Soren – Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
King Jr., Martin Luther – Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
– The moral arc of the universe is long but it bends towards justice.
– It is always the right time to do the right thing.
– Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Lincoln, Abraham – I will prepare myself and my opportunity will come.
– Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
– Let us have faith that right makes might.
– I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me, and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.
Mandela, Nelson – Many things seem impossible until they are done.
– May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.
McAuliffe, Christa – I touch the future. I teach.
Muir, John – The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Serenity Prayer – God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Native American Proverb – Toss your cares upon the wind, and let the sun rise in your heart.
– May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon you, and each new day bring sunrise in your heart.
Nietzsche, F.W. – Without music, life would be a mistake.
– One must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star.
– Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
– Speak your truth… All suppressed truths become poisonous.
Obama, Barack – There is no challenge too great for a world that stands as one.
– We are all meant to shine.
– Together, ordinary people can do extraordinary things.
– Let us reach for the world that ought to be: that spark of the divine that still stirs within each of our souls.
Oliver, Mary – Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your new wild and precious life?
Otto, Herbert – Loving is the best way to celebrate living.
Peace Pilgrim – If you are feeling overwhelmed, you are doing too much.
Picasso, Pablo – In art there is room for all possibilities.
– Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
Plato – To risk nothing is to risk everything.
– Those having torches will pass them on to others.
– Never discourage anyone…who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
Shakespeare, William – This, above all, to thine own self be true.
Teel, Roger – It’s okay to hit rock bottom now and then; rock is an excellent thing to build a foundation on.
Roosevelt, Eleanor – Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
– Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
– The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Roosevelt, Franklin D. – The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
– When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
Rumi – Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.
– Look for the answer within the question.
– Your heart knows the way, Run in that direction.
Shakespeare, William – This, above all, to thine own self be true.
– If music be the food of love, play on…
– A light heart lives long.
Thoreau, Henry David – Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.
– Our lives are frittered away by detail… Simplify, simplify.
– I love a broad margin to my life.
Walton, Izaak – I have laid aside business and gone a-fishing.
West, Mae – You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Whitman, Walt – The powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse…What shall your verse be?
– Re-examine all you have been told. Dismiss what insults your soul.
Wilde, Oscar – To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
– Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
– Your soul grows sick with longing with the things it has forbidden itself.
Yoda – Do, or do not. There is no try.
Etta Satter, a Colorado native, has been creating pottery in her mountain home for over thirty years. She is best known for making handmade quote mugs, inscribed with inspirational and philosophical quotations. Having earned a Masters Degree in Philosophy, she comes by this inscribed philosopher-ware naturally.
“It is born of my existential madness,” says Etta Satter.
Etta lives in Evergreen, Colorado. Her two adult children are the loves of her life.